Monday, May 5, 2008

Priceless (Hors de Prix)

I wanted so much for this to be a modern day Breakfast At Tiffany’s (after all, my dog is named after Audrey Hepburn!!). Well this French movie with subtitles stars Audrey Tautou (Amelie, Da Vinci Code) as more of a blood sucking vulture, instead of a mere gold-digger. It starts out with much promise, very cute and snappy, as she mistakenly sleeps with a hotel worker, thinking he is a rich suitor. Well much like the beloved classic, the two social climbers fall for each other, eventually. I really did enjoy this movie, but my expectations were too high! After the cute & snappy beginning, it sours a bit when you realize just how greedy Audrey Tautou’s character really is. The male social climber, who has much higher morals (which leads you to wonder what he sees in the blood sucking vulture) is only going along for the ride to win the girl’s heart. I wound up being sickened by the lifestyles of the rich and not so famous. But it really was an enjoyable movie; it just wasn’t the wonderful future classic I was hoping it to be.

No comments: