Friday, November 30, 2012

Lincoln

Period, True Story
4 stars
Very good historical drama dealing with the events leading up to the passing of the 13th amendment.  Daniel Day Lewis is amazing as usual.  I am not a fan of Sally Field (as the First Lady).  I thought she was good until her inevitable tantrum (she seems to have one in every film she's in), then I kept thinking "Enough already, let's move on to the next scene!".  I thought the f-word, though used humorously, seemed incongruous with the time period, but my historian friend informed that word has been around since the 1600's.  This movie is mostly dialogue, which can be dry at times, but it was thankfully broken up with humor every now and then by Lincoln's youngest son and also by James Spader (love him!).  Very good history lesson.

No comments: