Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Runaways

Drama
3 stars
Accurate depiction of the sleazy 70’s. Kristen Stewart (Twilight) and Dakota Fanning play Joan Jett and Cherie Curry, respectively, in this sort of coming of age tale taking place in the mid-70’s. It’s more of the story of Curry, morphing from a space shot to a drug-addled diva as they form the band The Runaways in an abandoned trailer. This reminded me of everything I disliked of the 70’s and everything I disliked as a 15 year old. It felt kinda creepy watching these promiscuous teens experiment with drugs and their budding sexuality. Me, I was a Joan Jett fan in the 80’s and was in the mood for some rock’n’roll, and while there is some good music, there is very little told about Jett’s background and I was embarrassed for Stewart every time she tried to belt out a song – thankfully Fanning did most of the singing. It’s not a bad movie, it’s just not my thing.

No comments: