Thursday, December 17, 2009

Invictus

4 stars
Drama
Very good movie about Nelson Mandela inspiring the South African rugby team captain, Francois Pienaar, to win the World Cup. Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon star. The title is the name of a poem that helped Mandela get through his 27 years in prison. I really liked this movie, but I have to report three complaints. 1) I sometimes had trouble deciphering the accents and missed some dialogue. 2) They make no real attempt to explain how the rugby works, and they spend quite a bit of time reenacting the World Cup game and I had no idea what was going on. By comparison, I don’t understand football either, but had no problem understanding the parts of the game conveyed in several popular football movies. 3) While we see how Mandela inspired Pienaar, we don’t really see how Pienaar inspired his reluctant team to mature from one of the worst teams in rugby to become World Cup Champions. But still, it was an excellent movie.

No comments: