Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Avatar: 3D

Fantasy
4 stars
Good movie. The humans of planet earth want to relocate, or simply kill, the large Day-Glo blue people (called the NaVi) of planet Pandora to plunder its natural resources. By using a futuristic combination of genetics and technology, the humans create their own giant blue folks and control them remotely, hoping to infiltrate the blue tribes and peacefully make them relocate. It’s a good movie but I have to address all the hype: if you try to compare Avatar with other special effects heavy fantasies like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or Narnia, I’m afraid it doesn’t hold a candle in neither special effects nor originality. I enjoyed the flying scenes with the giant blue pterodactyl-like dragon birds. I liked the story of the marine (Sam Worthington) falling for the blue NaVi girl (Zoe Saldana). Co-stars include Stephen Lang as the colonel in charge of Operation Avatar and Sigourney Weaver as a research scientist. My eyes did get a bit tired of all the Day-Glo blues and greens. Like I said, a good movie, but not worthy of all the hype.

No comments: