Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Serious Man

Comedy, Dry
4 stars
This critically acclaimed Coen Brothers’ movie shows a slice of life from the perspective of a 60’s era Jewish man (Michael Stuhbarg) who’s life begins to spiral out of control. Being a Coen Brothers’ film, you have to expect some weirdness and unanswered questions. It starts with a bizarre short film that seems to have no relation at all to the main movie. Also, the main movie ends abruptly, leaving some big loose ends. But other than the beginning and end, the rest is a humorous take on the main character’s struggles and I really enjoyed it, as did the rest of the folks in the theater (and all the critics too). Note: the word “goy” means a “non-Jew” – they use that word quite a bit. Also, after overhearing a conversation after the movie, I think I may have missed a final scene that takes place after the credits. If anyone can verify this and let me know what I missed I’d be very grateful! Really good movie.

No comments: