Friday, November 6, 2009

Cirque du Freak; The Vampire’s Assistant

3.5
Horror; Comedy
Fun! Perfect for Halloween, this slightly campy, fantastical movie was a fun ride. Though this film went against my principles that vampires should be sexy, it was still a fun story of two teenage boys (Josh Hutcherson, Chris Massoglia) who get lured to a freak show (I usually hate these, but I thought this one was cool – and I loved the little gnomes) and get themselves into trouble with the vampires (John C. Reilly, Willem Dafoe, Ray Stevenson). Salma Hayek and Ken Watanabe co-star. I was actually bummed when the movie ended because there is clearly more story, and an inevitable sequel. There is plenty of mist and sense of eeriness and creepy characters, but not much of the murder and mayhem as you would expect. Still, it was a fun movie.

No comments: