Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Hobbit, 3D

4.5 stars
Fantasy, Adventure
Fun movie.  The first film in a trilogy(!) based on the single book of the same title.  Bilbo Baggins is recruited by Gandolf the Wizard to embark on a journey with a group of dwarves to help them reclaim their castle.  They encounter many dangers and strange beings along the way.  The New Zealand backdrop is stunning, the visual graphics are cool and I loved the close-ups of Gollum's face!  I read this book twice back when I was a teen, but my memory fails me.  From what I recall it seems to follow along closely with the book, and at about the same pace.  I did not experience the vertigo that some people have been experiencing with the 3D version.  I did think that a few times the camera moved too quickly when it was panning, resulting in a blurry picture - especially when they first encountered those giant wolves.  Fun movie.

No comments: