Friday, December 28, 2012

Les Miserables

Musical, Drama
5 stars
Loved it!  Hugh Jackman stars as Jean Valjean, a man just released from prison, who raises the little Cosette (Amanda Seyfried).  Oh, there's lots more to the story, but why give it all away?   I loved that the stars sang the songs as they acted, rather than being dubbed over later - I found these performances so much more powerful, and less staged.  If they were off-key, I was too busy sniffling to notice.  I am not even an Anne Hathaway fan, but she made me cry at least twice.  I thought the singing was excellent (even Russell Crowe!); the acting was outstanding; the story is of course very moving.  For all the critics out there who didn't like it, they obviously don't like Broadway theater musicals, or maybe they just don't get it.  The audience at the showing I went to all applauded at the end - though I was too busy blowing my nose!  This film is for those who loved the famous musical, and those who never got a chance to see it.  Bring lots of tissues.  Bravo!

No comments: