Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Hunger Games

Sci-Fi, Action
3.5 stars
Interesting concept. Futuristic story where an oppressive government forces 2 teens from each of 12 districts to go on a Survivor-like reality TV show where they fight to the death. Stars include Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutchinson as the District 12 participants, with Woody Harrelson as their mentor and Stanley Tucci as the TV host. Elizabeth Banks was fun to watch with her crazy hair, makeup and bejeweled manicures. Liam Hemsworth recieves top billing but his role is quite small as Lawrence’s boyfriend. I did not read the book. So, as a nonreader going into this highly anticipated film, I thought it moved along too slowly and I am left with a few questions that were not answered in the film. I also thought the outcome was predictable. But, I can say my normally quiet afternoon matinee was jam packed with teens and 20-somethings who all seemed to enjoy it. Although, these members of the ADHD Generation weren’t entranced enough with the film to stop playing with their phones. Only for fans of the book.

No comments: