Friday, December 2, 2011

Arthur Christmas

Family, Animated
3.5 stars
Cute futuristic take on North Pole organization. Santa’s eldest son Steve (Hugh Laurie) runs the North Pole with high-tech efficiency but when one gift is left undelivered, Steve’s enthusiastic little brother Arthur (James McAvoy) turns to the old school approach to get the job done. I love the animated artistry of the characters, and the Grandpa Santa (Bill Nighy) had all the best lines, but I personally wasn’t happy that the only character in the movie with any Christmas spirit was Arthur, and everyone else had a jaded attitude. Even Santa was portrayed as a big dummy (Jim Broadbent). This is the same reason I didn’t like Jim Carrey’s version of the Grinch. So if you don’t mind all the jaded attitudes from that film, then you’ll probably like this film. I didn’t hate, I just wish at least a couple more characters had portrayed that sweet innocence and Christmas cheer. Cute, but not one of my favorites.



No comments: