Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I Love You, Philip Morris

Indie, Comedy
4.5 stars
Loved it! It’s probably best not to know anything about the movie going in, so I’ll save the “what’s it about” for the end here, but I’ll tell you it’s not for homophobes. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor star in this very quirky, funny and original film. This is probably the first time I’ve seen Ewan McGregor become so immersed in his character, that I forgot who I was watching – i.e. excellent acting on his part, and Carrey was really good here too (not the crazy, out of control Carrey we are used to). Really good, mostly light and quirky, but it did make me cry once or twice, only to make me laugh again a few minutes later. Don’t read any further if you don’t want to know what it’s about. Carrey stars as a suppressed homosexual who finally comes out of the closet only to learn “it’s really expensive being gay”, so he turns to cons to make enough cash to support his new flashy lifestyle. McGregor co-stars as the love of Carrey’s life, and as I said earlier, I thought he was fantastic. Very good movie.

No comments: