Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

4 stars
Fantasy
Loved it. I read this book a couple of years ago so my memory fails me, but it seemed to include everything necessary for non-readers to follow, though no explanation of Dumbledore’s withered hand. Although it just occurred to me that once the identity of the Half Blood Prince was revealed, I thought the book made quite a revelation regarding that individual not being a pure blood wizard? In the movie it’s no big deal; there are too many other things to worry about: Ron was hilarious under a love spell, Hero Fiennes Tiffen (nephew of Lord Voldemort actor Ralph Fiennes) is perfectly creepy as a young Voldemort, thankfully Malfoy has a larger role in this movie with his special mission – and Quiddich games are as cool as ever. I just wish I had caught myself up and watched the previous episode beforehand. Great special effects as in all Potter movies. Maybe since the Lord of the Rings trilogy ended Potter special effects may get some recognition at the Academy Awards?

No comments: