Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Journey to the Center of the Earth (in 3D)

Brendan Fraser follows after his lost brother’s footsteps via the Jules Verne novel to find himself at the earth’s core, along with his young nephew and a pretty Icelandic mountain guide. I’ll be honest, I never read the book; my Weymouth public school education didn’t include the classics. I will say that they seem to have improved upon 3D visual effects, though the picture still feels shaky. The last time I saw something in 3D was a Friday the 13th back in 1984 or ‘85. They use plastic glasses now instead of the cardboard ones, and the cost is added to the movie ticket! This movie didn’t take advantage of the 3D as much as it could have. The only time the 3D was fully utilized, in my opinion, was during the flying piranha scene – which is the only scene that made me jump out of my seat. It was a fun, cute movie though. The glow-in-the-dark birds were cartoonish and corny, but I found the rest of it to be an enjoyable fantasy, especially for kids.

No comments: