Friday, May 17, 2013

The Great Gatsby

Drama
4.5 stars
Loved it!  The classic F. Scott Fitzgerald novel is brought to life once again as Jay Gatsby (Leo DiCaprio) throws over-the-top parties hoping his long-ago love Daisy (Carey Mulligan) will find her way there so they can meet again.  As for director Baz Luhrmann, I absolutely hated his Moulin Rouge, and yes he still has outrageous set design for Gatsby, but this time it feels right, as Gatsby was an over-the-top character.  He has taken some minor liberties with the story, but the core plot remains the same.  I loved the wild parties, the beautiful mansions, the glamorous clothes and the essential love story.  I thought it was a strange choice to have Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) narrate the story to a shrink in a sanatorium.  I didn’t mind the mixture of modern music with era appropriate music, but some people found that to be a turn-off.  I watched the 3D version, but didn’t see any real benefit to pay extra for this feature.  I loved this film, I am going to see it again soon!

No comments: