Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Three Musketeers

Action, Comedy
3.5 stars
Cute, but not as good as I’d hoped. A brash young kid (Logan Lehman who was the title character in Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief, as well as the indie My One and Only) goes on an adventure with the famed musketeers to try to prevent a war between England and France. The costuming and the setting at Versailles were lush and opulent. However, the aerial scenes looked phony, like the landscaping that goes with those fancy miniature train sets. The characters were enjoyable, especially Freddie Fox as the flamboyant King Louis the XIII of France, as well as James Corden who played the musketeers’ chubby sidekick. Christoph Waltz and Orlando Bloom also co-star. The plot felt thin – I thought the whole story with the diamond necklace was a stretch. I also thought the brash young kid looked like a girl – though I really liked him My One & Only. I’m also not a fan on Milla Jovovich with her 17th century Mission Impossible-type antics. Despite my nitpicky complaints, it was a fun, frivolous film.

No comments: