Thursday, April 14, 2011

Arthur

Comedy
4 stars
Fun remake - I liked it even though there was no need to remake the classic. Russell Brand effectively takes the reigns from the late, great, irreplaceable Dudley Moore as the lovable alcoholic man-child with a bottomless bank account. I have to say I like Greta Gerwig (No Strings Attached, Greenberg) infinitely better than Liza Minnelli as Arthur’s love interest. She is a much more believable and a more likable character. I was resistant at first of Helen Mirren taking over the previously male role of Hobson, but she’s such a talented actress she won me over. Jennifer Garner co-stars as the mentally imbalanced Susan, who wants to marry Arthur for the family name and family business. What I like about this version is that it has heart, much more so than the original. The characters feel more real (except for Garner’s silly role), and the romance between Brand and Gerwig rings truer than the original between Minnelli and Moore. Well done.

No comments: