Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Wolfman

Horror, Suspence
2.5 stars
Passable monster movie. Plenty of atmosphere with misty forests and cobweb covered stone ruins as a werewolf terrorizes the villagers in rural England. Benicio Del Toro (who doesn’t quite pass for an Englishman) returns home to his father’s grand but dilapidated estate after his brother is found brutally murdered. Gory killings ensue. Anthony Hopkins plays the creepy patriarch and Emily Blunt co-stars as the grieving widow. My only complaint is that I thought the hair and makeup folks could have done a better job with the wolfman’s face – I think the makeup on the old I Was A Teenage Werewolf looked more authentic. Fun monster flick.

Feb 26: Update on Wolfman – It has been pointed out to me that I was too generous with my rating on The Wolfman. I’ve since downgraded it from a 3 to a 2.5 – that’s the equivalent of a C downgraded to a D+. The movie was never scary, not even during the murderous rampage, I swear at one point the Wolfman’s makeup was shoe polish, and the “wise old gypsy woman” was kinda dumb and clichéd. My apologies to anyone who may have gone to that movie based on my previous review.

No comments: