Thursday, April 16, 2009

Adventureland

Drama/Romance
3 stars
Something about the melancholy losers in this movie attracted me, but that’s all it is: melancholy losers. A college grad (Jesse Eisenberg) gets a summer job at a carnival and falls for a girl, Kristen Stewart (Twilight). Stewart seems to excel at playing bored, unhappy characters who never smile. I missed the first 10 minutes (mapquest.com gave me bad directions!) but I was confused by what ages the carnival workers were supposed to be? They all lived with their parents and borrowed their parent’s cars, yet they all seemed old enough to drink at bars. Very Strange. There are some amusing scenes, but I found it unlikely the schleppy, unattractive (in my opinion) protagonist attracts all the hot chicks at the carnival. It’s not a bad movie, but there was nothing really exciting about it either. Wait for the DVD; the TV version will be annoying when it covers up the swear words – but don’t worry, it’s not a crass vulgar movie.

No comments: